Monday, August 22, 2011

O to be Wise!

Two Wednesdays ago I got my wisdom teeth out. This was something I had been dreading since I was ten or eleven. Every time I went to the dentist they said I needed to get my wisdom teeth out that summer. We couldn't really afford it because we didn't have the insurance to cover it and without insurance it can be pretty expensive. My wisdom teeth never bothered me, at least that I could tell.

I went in Wednesday morning feeling more nervous about the IV I'd get then anything else. I don't particlarly like having needles stuck in me. It isn't the pain that I dread, but the thought that there isnsomething in my body creating a path so they can put stuff in my blood. We were waiting almost forty minutes before they took me back. Once in the room they were talking to me and my mom. He said that they were going to use the IVfor sedation (which is what I wanted) and that after the IV I wouldn't remember anything. They gave me laughing gave and strapped my arms to the chair before sticking the needle in.

After that my mom left and I did start to go out of it, but then something happened. I woke up! that was another thing I was afraid of, but everyone says that is silly since people don't usually wakeup with sedation. Well I did! I could feel the pain as they were taking out my bottom right tooth and I started to hyperventilate and cry. I asked for my mom and they finally got her.

Normally they don't let people back there because it is a gruesome surgery, but I needed my mommy! They numbed me up some more and kept working. My mom asked if i was okay. The dentist assured her that I was out of it and wouldn't remember anything anyway after the sedation wore off. Liar! I watched them with their nasty tools and bloody fingers. They told me I needed to breathe through my nose, but how could I when I'd choke on the blood in my mouth?

All in all it wasn't what I expected. He gave me a prescription for percocet and ibuprofen. I was in a lot of pain and was lucky enough to discover that my body really can't handle percocet. I suppose that is a good thing though as I won't really have to worry about getting addicted to it. When took it it did something horribly unpleasant to my body. I had to lie down and there wasn't any desire to do anything but breathe, and I barely wanted to do that.

All in all I wasn't expecting how all of that panned out. Lots of people get it off easy, but I was aware for it. I guess that's a good thing too. My dad called it hyperconsciousness or something like that.


Have you ever had an experience that was different from what you expected?

No comments:

Post a Comment